Best Ice Scraper Reviews (2020)
Whether you’re reading this during the summer, spring, fall or winter, having a snow brush and an ice scraper in your car can come in handy. Let’s face it, we’ve all experienced waking up to a car covered in snow at some in our lives.
As most of us do, we start the car and let it warm up, and if there are no tools to help out, we have to remove the snow by hand. Worst-case scenario, your windows are covered in a layer of ice which makes it even more challenging to remove and results in delaying your plans to going somewhere.
There’s absolutely nothing complicated about tools that ease the process of defrosting your car, as they serve two purposes. By having one that can be portable, you’ll have a way to remove snow and ice anywhere you go.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ve put together a list of snow brushes for cars and ice scrapers for vehicles. Some of the tools are all-in-one for convenience. Let’s keep your windows and front windshield free and clear of ice and snow.
Here are the six best ice scrapers and snow brushes we could find online.
Here’s the 6 best ice scrapers and snow brushes we could find online.
Top 6 Best Snow Brushes and Ice Scrapers For Automobiles with Reviews
- 26 inches long for ample reach and compact storage, Features four rows of sturdy plush bristles for removal of heavy snow, 4" wide scraper blade with tough ice chippers to break through and clear thick ice
- SnowBrum won’t scratch or scuff your vehicle's paint, The crosslinked, high-grade Polyethylene foam head is approved for delicate surfaces - it's great for awning, pool / hot tub covers too
- Soft-molded grip repels water and withstands UV rays for longer life, Ice chippers are built into the side of the blade to break up tough ice, Wide blade quickly clears frost
- The snow brush easily removes snow and ice from car windshield, top and hood, The snow brush scraper extends up to 55” making the hard-to-reach pockets of snow reachable, The snow scraper is equipped with foam grips for a more delightful touch yet lightweight enough for easy mobility
- Push heavy wet snow away fast, Durable non abrasive foam head is safe on car, Auto-locking extension pole adjusts from 30-inch to 49-inch, Built in Ice Scraper to Clear Away Ice Build-up On Your Windshield
- 36-inch brush, Innovative EVA foam brush won't scratch your car, Removes snow in small areas, Ergonomic aluminum handle, Ice scraper on opposing end of brush
6. True Temper Scratch-Free Snow Brush
For an ice scraper and a snow brush all in one, the True Temper brush and scraper really DO make a world of difference. Made of an EV plastic with an aluminium metal handle, it features a two-sided ice scraper and a foam brush which is designed to reduce any scratch marks left on the paint drastically.
This unit, in particular, comes in 28″ inches long, 32″ inches long, and 36″ inches long. In terms of cost, you’ll be paying less than 20 dollars for any of the lengths. It’s incredibly lightweight, coming in at just under 13 oz’s and if you get the 28″ inch long unit, you’ll easily be able to store it in your trunk. Check it out!
5. Snow Joe SJBLZD Telescoping Snow Broom with Ice Scraper
Not a snow brush, but instead a snow mover and an ice scraper all in one. Snow Joe’s SJBLZD Snow Broom looks much like a regular household broom, except for the fact that it’s a car ice scraper on one end, and a snow broom on the other.
Starting on the bottom end, you have the snow broom which is used to move snow from your vehicle. This part works excellent at moving medium to large quantities of fluffy snow. On the other end, you have an ice scraper which is fantastic for removing layers of ice from your front windshield and other windows. To make it as long as you need it to be, you can retract it from being only 30″ inches long to as much as 49″ inches long.
4. BirdRock Home 55″ Extendable Snow and Ice Scraper with Foam Grip
We love this snow brush and windshield ice scraper because it’s definitely an improved version of the Snow Joe broom mentioned above. It is featuring a snow brush made of foam on the front, and an ice scraper for the car windshield in the rear. It’s relatively lightweight at around 1.6 lbs, and the aluminium build can extend up to 55″ inches long.
Some have complained about the aluminium handle being cold to use with bare hands, BirdRock has solved that by featuring cushions located on where you’d typically grab the broom. Use it with or without gloves. Check it out on Amazon below for the lowest price.
3. Hopkins 16511 Subzero 23″ Ice Hammer Snowbrush
One of the best snow brushes we’ve seen online as well as one of the best ice scrapers you can use, the Hopkins Subzero 23″ Ice Hammer is simple in design, cheap in cost, and portable to be used in practically any vehicle.
The snow brush itself is quite big and can be used to remove a fair amount of snow at once. The other end is a windshield scraper, explicitly used for removing various layers of ice build-up. It grips easily and stores away using very little room (considering how slim it is). For less than 10 dollars, getting one for every vehicle would be a smart move.
2. Sno Brum Original Snow Removal Tool
Here’s where we have a 100% dedicated snow remover tool. The Sno Brum is one of the simplest inventions ever created, a broom with the simple foam plough mounted on the front. Simple but effective, for all those times when you wake up to snow packing your entire car, using the Sno Brum is an effective and quick way to move a large amount of dry and wet snow.
Stretch it out from 17″ inches long to 28″ inches long, place it in a convenient place or even in your vehicle. Not a car snow brush, but a car snow mover, working more effectively than an ordinary brush. See what the current price is at Amazon, below.
1. Hopkins 532 Mallory 26″ Snow Brush with Foam Grip
The #1 bestseller when it comes to snow brushes for cars and ice scrapers, it’s the Hopkins 532 Mallory 26″ Snow and Ice unit. Designed to be very lightweight and comfortable to carry, it weighs in at just under 13 oz.
Featuring a long nylon brush, you’ll easily be able to push and scrape away snow. The other end features a stiff plastic ice scraper, making it a safe and effective way to remove the layers of ice on your car’s windows. With the foam grips located on the aluminium handle, your bare hands won’t freeze. For less than 20 dollars and multiple uses, snow and ice won’t be any match!
Things to Consider When Shopping For an Ice Scraper
Choosing the right ice scraper should be a relatively easy task to do, but it could be more tricky than you think. In order to buy a product that will do its job correctly and last you more than one winter, you need to take a couple of factors into account.
- Blade – a quality ice scraper should be equipped with a sharp and sturdy blade. When scraping, you need to apply some level of pressure on the blade, and you do not want to be an owner of a blade that will break under pressure. A proper blade is an essential part of a good ice scraper purchase.
- Handle – next on the list the ever-important choice between a fixed handle and a one with a telescopic mechanism. The telescopic mechanism gives the user the ability to reach the farthest parts of your vehicle without engaging in a gymnastic session over your car. However, the longer the handle, the lower the level of control over the scraper you have. Fixed handles offer you more control, but with less convenience. The type of handle you choose depends on your personal preference, but make sure that the one you pick has cushioned grips, as this feature brings comfort while using the ice scraper.
- Broom head – a typical ice scraper comes in with a broom head. The bristle side is used for sweeping loose snow and ice shavings. An addition of squeegee is also desired, as it tightens the seal between the broom head and the windows and body of your car. A shovel or a plough side can also come in handy when the volume of snow you want to move is massive.
- Ice chipper – it is a feature that is much needed when you are faced with really hard ice. If your ice scraper has an integrated ice chipper, it could really save your day and cut the time of the whole process. Use it before you start to scrape.
Benefits of Using an Ice Scraper
Ice scrapers could be defined as indispensable tools in trying to keep a full view on the road by making sure your windshield is clear at all times. This results in improved road safety, especially when the weather is not there to help. This is an obvious benefit of using an ice scraper. When they are used correctly, the level of safety for you, your passengers and other people behind the wheel, is increasing by far.
You should also note that most ice scrapers come in with a broom head embedded in the design. You can then use it to remove or show the snow from your car. This is a feature that saves you a lot of money and space because you use one tool for more than one activity. You do not need to keep a separate broom in your vehicle.
It depends on the quality of your ice scraper, but in general, you can preserve the integrity of your windshield and other parts of the car. You can use other tools, of course, but they can’t guarantee that there will be no scratch marks made in the process. An ice scraper is explicitly designed to be used on vehicles, so you can rest assured that they won’t damage your beloved car.
The Best Way to Correctly Remove Ice From Your Windshield
Buying the perfect ice scrapers is just the first step in the process of getting your car ready for the road in the winter. There is a correct way to use an ice scraper, and you should make yourself familiar with it before you start shovelling a thick block of ice on your windshield.
The most important thing to remember is that you should always start with de-icing your windshield first. Some people try to pour hot or warm water over the glass, but it is not the right way to start the process.
When you put your windshield in a state of thermic shock, in some cases, you might even break the glass. The recommended approach is to turn your engine and let it run for a couple of minutes and turn your defroster in your vehicle to help the de-icing.
When you don’t have the time, you can also try making and using a 1:2 water to alcohol solution. Add a few drops of a dishwashing liquid and spray generously on your windshield. This should help reduce the freezing point of water. You can also go for a commercially produced de-icer and spray that liquid instead. But please remember to scrub away the residue, so that you stay with a clean glass.
Do not count on these solutions to de-ice your car completely, and this is where the ice scraper comes in. Because the ice should be much looser, thanks to the used solutions, it should be a lot easier to use your scraping tool on the windshield. When you scrape, always use long, firm and broad strokes. Having a wider scraper is an advantage against time, so be sure to look for the broader models.
An ice scraper is a tool that you should have in your car at all times. It will come in handy, especially during the colder months of the year and save you a lot of time and effort in de-icing and defrosting your vehicle. Safety should always be your priority and having a clean windshield is on top of the list. Driving a car in snow or ice is dangerous enough, make sure you have the perfect visibility before you leave your driveway.
**If you have not already taken a look at other preventative measures against snow, we made a guide on finding the best pair of snow chains, and also on which tires to get that are ideal for snow use in general. Have a look by clicking one of our search bars.